Date: 7/25/22 4:42 pm
From: weatherbird58 <weatherbird58...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Indigo Buntings + Red-headed Woodpeckers
A number of male Indigo Buntings have been eating reed canary grass seeds
from the seed heads in the road ditch across from our house. We've seen
them several times since Sunday evening, and up to 5 at a time, all of them
blue. They're out there again now, hanging out in a group. We haven't
seen any females or juveniles lately.

Red-headed Woodpeckers seem to have had a successful nesting season in our
neighborhood. We see adult and juvenile RHWO in the trees, at the peanut
feeder, chasing here and there, and on electric poles. The most juveniles
I've see at one time is three. Some times they take chase with Eastern
Kingbirds.

There are many young of Downy, Hairy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers too.

Karl Jungbluth, 2 miles south of Boone