Date: 7/25/22 12:55 pm
From: <aj...>
Subject: RE: [ia-bird] Limpkin question - not sighting
Right. If you read the article I posted, these are invasive snails that both Limpkins and Snail Kites seem to be somewhat adapting to. Snail Kite young were having trouble with the larger snails. From the article:

“What is truly remarkable, however, is that these hardy invasive snails seem to be supplementing the declining native P. paludosa and have jump started Limpkin and Snail Kite population growth. Both species have been documented readily feeding on invasive snails, and the latter may even be adapting to this novel prey (Snail Kites are increasing in body size and bill length).”

Ann Johnson

Norwalk