Date: 7/24/22 1:34 pm
From: Bill Rankin via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] A very Craney day!

Hi All,

This morning Kimberly Jannarone and I went in search of Sandhill Cranes in Litchfield county, and we were happily surprised to find not just the one family recently reported, but a second family as well. The first, in a field on Westside Rd. in Norfolk, had one juvenile that was already getting close to the size of the adults (though still obviously juvenile—no red cap). The second family, just a short hop away in a large mown lawn on Colebrook Rd., east up the hill from Benedict Pond, had two juveniles—almost fledglings—that were noticeably smaller and clumsier.

Very exciting to see TWO successful breeding pairs in Connecticut—on the same day!

Here are the checklists (with some bonus families of crossbills, loons, Cooper's hawks, and RB nuthatches):
https://ebird.org/checklist/S115651494
https://ebird.org/checklist/S115656932

happy birding,
Bill Rankin