Date: 7/23/22 10:24 am
From: Steve Mayo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] (Migrating RTHU?) Hummingbird - Hammonesett
As part of a nice morning at Hammo, I did a bit of a sea watch at Meig's
Point. In addition to the expected "pelagics" for this time of year
(dragonflies, Bank Swallows, paddle boarders) I was surprised to see a
hummingbird far out in LIS, heading roughly SW. It was distant but
unmistakable (tiny, bulbous, slightly swerving and/or undulating with a
very long, shallow, 50-foot or so, "wavelength"). The 'scope observation
lasted a good portion of a minute until it was lost over by Falkner
Island.

This seems a month early for any coastal movement of Ruby-throated
Hummingbirds.

Steve Mayo
Bethany