Date: 7/23/22 7:57 am
From: Jayne Champion via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Re: CTBirds Digest, Vol 5600, Issue 2
❣️ Loved the snow pictures

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 22, 2022, at 1:31 PM, <ctbirds-request...> wrote:
>
> 
>
> CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of CTBirds digest..." and also be sure to
> *** TRIM OFF THE UNRELATED PORTIONS OF THE MESSAGE ***
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Re: Curlew sp (Ellynne Rey)
> 2. Answering questions about conditions for viewing the Curlew Sandpiper
> (Ken Elkins)
> 3. Re: Curlew sp (Paul Plotnick)
> 4. Re: Curlew sp (Nichols Photography)
> 5. Re: Curlew sp (Ellynne Rey)
> 6. Re: Curlew Sandpiper photos, 7/21/22 (Thomas Robben)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 12:11:24 -0400
> From: Ellynne Rey <ellynnerey...>
> Subject: [CT Birds] Re: Curlew sp
> To: chrisandkeri <chrisandkeri...>
> Cc: ct birds <Ctbirds...>
> Message-ID:
> <CAP-xrZaEg=<mDZt4hT7PryRBE9n4msG8mzO1uQ0TzBOKpizmrpA...>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Just arrived. It’s a NO. Rumor is the tide is wrong so the bird left. I
> have no info other than it might be here later when the ride shifts. But I
> can’t come back later. Good luck to those who can make it here later.
>
> Ellynne
>
>> On Friday, July 22, 2022, chrisandkeri <chrisandkeri...> wrote:
>>
>> I'll be coming from vt tomorrow and am prepared to spend the entire day at
>> milford.and tips or pins of the outer sandbar to check would be appreciated
>>
>>
>>
>> Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
>>
>>
>> -------- Original message --------
>> From: Ellynne Rey via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
>> Date: 7/22/22 11:30 AM (GMT-05:00)
>> To: ct birds <Ctbirds...>
>> Subject: [CT Birds] Curlew sp
>>
>> Hi. I have a small window now (11:30 am- 1:30 pm) to see the sandpiper. Is
>> it still there? It will take 20 minutes to get there. I missed it
>> yesterday. Thanks for all the updates (and Frank for making it public).
>>
>> Ellynne Rey
>> <Ellynnerey...>
>>
>> CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing
>> birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/
>> join-us/
>> CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For
>> list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/
>> birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
>>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 16:19:46 +0000
> From: Ken Elkins <kElkins...>
> Subject: [CT Birds] Answering questions about conditions for viewing
> the Curlew Sandpiper
> To: Christina Cole <gooutsidect...>,
> "<ctbirds...>" <ctbirds...>
> Message-ID: <MWHPR2201MB1423A6C43F5229BC326AC8D6A2909@MWHPR2201MB1423
> .namprd22.prod.outlook.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Hi Christina and others considering the visit here.
>
> The bird has been seen most about half way out the sandbar. Walking out from the coastal center to the platform, it's about a 5-10 minute walk in the sand. All the way out is another 10 minutes.
>
> It is being seen most about 1 hour on either side of high tide. Lower tides, there are too many spaces for the shorebirds to relocate it Tomorrow morning, after 9 am will be most likely to find it, with 9:30-11am the best conditions if I'm guessing correctly. This evening, after 6:00 could work, though it's been found on falling tides more than rising tides, so closest to sunset around 8pm is much more likely.
>
> For tides here, I tend to follow search for Sniffens Point, Stratford. Milford Harbor isn't too far off.
>
> *About the Coastal Center facilities: our building is closed to visitors on weekdays, with such a large enrollment in our summer camps, our bathrooms seem to always have at least one child in them. The center is open to the public 9-4 on Saturday and Noon-4 on Sunday.
>
> Good luck,
> Ken
>
>
> Ken Elkins
> Director, Coastal Center at Milford Point
> 1 Milford Point Road
> Milford, CT 06460
> 203-878-7440 x101
> www.ctaudubon.org
> Follow us on Twitter @ctaudubon
> Like us on Facebook
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Christina Cole via CTBirds [mailto:<ctbirds...>]
> Sent: Friday, July 22, 2022 11:49 AM
> To: Ct Birds List <ctbirds...>
> Subject: [CT Birds] Curlew ??
>
>
> Well being fair and European anyone want to clue me in on how far out and tough of a walk this might be in the heat.
>
> I’m tossing the idea around … but admittedly I’m being a sissy
>
> Also with blues on the beach occupying short beach this weekend in Stratford it may spend more time on the Milford side. If it’s like last years they probably start setting up today or yesterday!
>
> Christina Cole
>
> CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/
> CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 12:28:45 -0400
> From: Paul Plotnick <pdplot2...>
> Subject: [CT Birds] Re: Curlew sp
> To: Ellynne Rey <ellynnerey...>
> Cc: chrisandkeri <chrisandkeri...>, ct birds
> <Ctbirds...>
> Message-ID:
> <CACA946A8ORVG43pz5ep3KC69YA3Df2wZs6ArepRip4wEhOQwdQ...>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Question - where does the bird go at low tide? It's obviously still around.
> Ellynne and I were there yesterday around 1 pm- of course it was not there.
>
> Paul Plotnick
> Stamford
>
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 12:12 PM Ellynne Rey via CTBirds <
> <ctbirds...> wrote:
>
>> Just arrived. It’s a NO. Rumor is the tide is wrong so the bird left. I
>> have no info other than it might be here later when the ride shifts. But I
>> can’t come back later. Good luck to those who can make it here later.
>>
>> Ellynne
>>
>>> On Friday, July 22, 2022, chrisandkeri <chrisandkeri...> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll be coming from vt tomorrow and am prepared to spend the entire day
>> at
>>> milford.and tips or pins of the outer sandbar to check would be
>> appreciated
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
>>>
>>>
>>> -------- Original message --------
>>> From: Ellynne Rey via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
>>> Date: 7/22/22 11:30 AM (GMT-05:00)
>>> To: ct birds <Ctbirds...>
>>> Subject: [CT Birds] Curlew sp
>>>
>>> Hi. I have a small window now (11:30 am- 1:30 pm) to see the sandpiper.
>> Is
>>> it still there? It will take 20 minutes to get there. I missed it
>>> yesterday. Thanks for all the updates (and Frank for making it public).
>>>
>>> Ellynne Rey
>>> <Ellynnerey...>
>>>
>>> CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing
>>> birders together statewide. Please support COA:
>> https://www.ctbirding.org/
>>> join-us/
>>> CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For
>>> list rules and subscription information visit:
>> https://www.ctbirding.org/
>>> birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
>>>
>>
>> CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing
>> birders together statewide. Please support COA:
>> https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/
>> CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For
>> list rules and subscription information visit:
>> https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 12:35:07 -0400
> From: Nichols Photography <manichols1993...>
> Subject: [CT Birds] Re: Curlew sp
> To: Paul Plotnick <pdplot2...>
> Cc: Ellynne Rey <ellynnerey...>, chrisandkeri
> <chrisandkeri...>, ct birds <ctbirds...>
> Message-ID: <73F631FE-38FD-4917-A03A-1C1F9513FC8F...>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> But it returned later in the evening som I’m thinking it will return today around the same time.
>
> Monica nichols
> Madison
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jul 22, 2022, at 12:29 PM, Paul Plotnick via CTBirds <ctbirds...> wrote:
>>
>> Question - where does the bird go at low tide? It's obviously still around.
>> Ellynne and I were there yesterday around 1 pm- of course it was not there.
>>
>> Paul Plotnick
>> Stamford
>>
>>> On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 12:12 PM Ellynne Rey via CTBirds <
>>> <ctbirds...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just arrived. It’s a NO. Rumor is the tide is wrong so the bird left. I
>>> have no info other than it might be here later when the ride shifts. But I
>>> can’t come back later. Good luck to those who can make it here later.
>>>
>>> Ellynne
>>>
>>>> On Friday, July 22, 2022, chrisandkeri <chrisandkeri...> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> I'll be coming from vt tomorrow and am prepared to spend the entire day
>>> at
>>>> milford.and tips or pins of the outer sandbar to check would be
>>> appreciated
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> -------- Original message --------
>>>> From: Ellynne Rey via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
>>>> Date: 7/22/22 11:30 AM (GMT-05:00)
>>>> To: ct birds <Ctbirds...>
>>>> Subject: [CT Birds] Curlew sp
>>>>
>>>> Hi. I have a small window now (11:30 am- 1:30 pm) to see the sandpiper.
>>> Is
>>>> it still there? It will take 20 minutes to get there. I missed it
>>>> yesterday. Thanks for all the updates (and Frank for making it public).
>>>>
>>>> Ellynne Rey
>>>> <Ellynnerey...>
>>>>
>>>> CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing
>>>> birders together statewide. Please support COA:
>>> https://www.ctbirding.org/
>>>> join-us/
>>>> CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For
>>>> list rules and subscription information visit:
>>> https://www.ctbirding.org/
>>>> birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
>>>>
>>>
>>> CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing
>>> birders together statewide. Please support COA:
>>> https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/
>>> CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For
>>> list rules and subscription information visit:
>>> https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
>>
>> CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/
>> CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 12:40:01 -0400
> From: Ellynne Rey <ellynnerey...>
> Subject: [CT Birds] Re: Curlew sp
> To: Paul Plotnick <pdplot2...>
> Cc: chrisandkeri <chrisandkeri...>, ct birds
> <Ctbirds...>
> Message-ID:
> <CAP-xrZbzEPgcpvvwanzPwcGx6ir9D=<9pm2Z_RtmmKtorMQ0fdw...>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Thanks all. I work tonight so can’t get back. Maybe tomorrow early is a
> slim possibility. I may try a few little areas between here and
> Bridgeport/Stratford. I appreciate the strategic info. When you’re not
> looking it seems you see flocks of sandpipers land at the water’s edge.
> Aside from AMOY and a few terms & plovers it’s quiet.
>
> Thanks again for the info!
>
> Ellynne
> (<Ellynnerey...>)
>
>> On Friday, July 22, 2022, Paul Plotnick <pdplot2...> wrote:
>>
>> Question - where does the bird go at low tide? It's obviously still
>> around. Ellynne and I were there yesterday around 1 pm- of course it was
>> not there.
>>
>> Paul Plotnick
>> Stamford
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 12:12 PM Ellynne Rey via CTBirds <
>> <ctbirds...> wrote:
>>
>>> Just arrived. It’s a NO. Rumor is the tide is wrong so the bird left. I
>>> have no info other than it might be here later when the ride shifts. But I
>>> can’t come back later. Good luck to those who can make it here later.
>>>
>>> Ellynne
>>>
>>>> On Friday, July 22, 2022, chrisandkeri <chrisandkeri...> wrote:
>>>
>>>> I'll be coming from vt tomorrow and am prepared to spend the entire day
>>> at
>>>> milford.and tips or pins of the outer sandbar to check would be
>>> appreciated
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> -------- Original message --------
>>>> From: Ellynne Rey via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
>>>> Date: 7/22/22 11:30 AM (GMT-05:00)
>>>> To: ct birds <Ctbirds...>
>>>> Subject: [CT Birds] Curlew sp
>>>>
>>>> Hi. I have a small window now (11:30 am- 1:30 pm) to see the sandpiper.
>>> Is
>>>> it still there? It will take 20 minutes to get there. I missed it
>>>> yesterday. Thanks for all the updates (and Frank for making it public).
>>>>
>>>> Ellynne Rey
>>>> <Ellynnerey...>
>>>>
>>>> CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing
>>>> birders together statewide. Please support COA:
>>> https://www.ctbirding.org/
>>>> join-us/
>>>> CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For
>>>> list rules and subscription information visit:
>>> https://www.ctbirding.org/
>>>> birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
>>>>
>>>
>>> CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing
>>> birders together statewide. Please support COA:
>>> https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/
>>> CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For
>>> list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/
>>> birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
>>
>>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 13:29:16 -0400
> From: Thomas Robben <robben99...>
> Subject: [CT Birds] Re: Curlew Sandpiper photos, 7/21/22
> To: Steve Hubbard <hubbardsr...>
> Cc: SendEmailTo CTbirds <ctbirds...>
> Message-ID:
> <CANpJbq0iy5Ti1L=uON_gyoLpwsF_Q=<tny6_SLCyH2N5k090DqA...>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Steve,
> THANK YOU for some of the most wonderful photos possible of a Curlew
> Sandpiper.
>
> Do not miss these photos!
> Everybody should click on Steve's Flickr link:
> https://www.flickr.com/gp/30264683@N07/52G6M21808 or
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/30264683@N07/sets/72177720300739784/
>
> Tom Robben
> Glastonbury CT
>
>
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 10:52 AM Steve Hubbard via CTBirds <
> <ctbirds...> wrote:
>
>> I was with other birders/photographers yesterday morning (7/21) at Milford
>> Point around 10 am observing the Curlew. At one point, it was flushed by
>> other sandpipers, but shortly after, it flew back and landed approx. 25 ft.
>> from me, near the water’s edge. Here are a few photos I was fortunate to
>> get. https://www.flickr.com/gp/30264683@N07/52G6M21808
>>
>> Steve Hubbard
>>
>> CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing
>> birders together statewide. Please support COA:
>> https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/
>> CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For
>> list rules and subscription information visit:
>> https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> This list is provided by the Connecticut Ornithological Association (COA) for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
>
> Send CTBirds mailing list submissions to: <ctbirds...>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe visit: https://lists.ctbirding.org/list/ctbirds.lists.ctbirding.org
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to: <ctbirds-request...>
> You can reach the person managing the list at: <ctbirds-owner...>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of CTBirds Digest, Vol 5600, Issue 2
> ****************************************

CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/
CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
 
Join us on Facebook!