Date: 7/22/22 9:20 am
From: Ken Elkins via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Answering questions about conditions for viewing the Curlew Sandpiper
Hi Christina and others considering the visit here.

The bird has been seen most about half way out the sandbar. Walking out from the coastal center to the platform, it's about a 5-10 minute walk in the sand. All the way out is another 10 minutes.

It is being seen most about 1 hour on either side of high tide. Lower tides, there are too many spaces for the shorebirds to relocate it Tomorrow morning, after 9 am will be most likely to find it, with 9:30-11am the best conditions if I'm guessing correctly. This evening, after 6:00 could work, though it's been found on falling tides more than rising tides, so closest to sunset around 8pm is much more likely.

For tides here, I tend to follow search for Sniffens Point, Stratford. Milford Harbor isn't too far off.

*About the Coastal Center facilities: our building is closed to visitors on weekdays, with such a large enrollment in our summer camps, our bathrooms seem to always have at least one child in them. The center is open to the public 9-4 on Saturday and Noon-4 on Sunday.

Good luck,
Ken

Ken Elkins
Director, Coastal Center at Milford Point
1 Milford Point Road
Milford, CT  06460
203-878-7440 x101
www.ctaudubon.org