Date: 7/22/22 8:36 am
From: Sean Murtha via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] No terns at Cockenoe Island, Westport

I visited the Cockenoe sandbar by kayak this morning for the first time in a while, only to discover the Common Tern Colony there abandoned. Only a handful of adult birds were present. Many appear to have relocated westward to East White Rock, just east of Calf Pasture Island in Norwalk- I observed adults bringing food, aggressively driving off approaching gulls (and me when I drifted too close), and spotted a few young birds. But the rock is too small to support the numbers that used to nest on Cockenoe sandbar. I suspect high tides swamped the sandbar- to my eye it looks a little lower this year (though that's hard to judge).

There were small numbers of Semipalmated sandpipers and at least one Least sandpiper on Cockenoe. Also a Brant, which appears to have a damaged wing but otherwise looking healthy.

-Sean Murtha

www.seanmurthaart.com