Date: 7/19/22 9:02 am
From: Daniel Mason <millipede1977...>
Subject: Re: ARE ARKANSAS VIOLETEARS OVERSHOT MIGRANTS?
Interesting... Added side note, with an added side note...
The recent sightings ALMOST have me wanting to put up feeders for
hummers. But, I am really bad about keeping up with things and have
read, over the years, that it's important to maintain their feeders
well. I am not convinced that I would keep up with that faithfully so, I
have not put up hummingbird feeders over the years. I do have a wild
jungle of a yard that does seem to please at least a few ruby-throated...
But, I was just thinking yesterday...  I wonder what the violetear's
favorite flowers are... and then, either planting them(or something
closely resembling it, or building feeders that look like it. That way
if any of those stray migrants wanders past my yard, it will be lured in
for my viewing. :)
Yes, I'm a dreamer. I know I'm not the only one though.
If I had more money, and a gardener, I'd be living in a pretty fantastic
yard...  maybe some day.

Daniel Mason

On 7/19/2022 10:55 AM, Joseph Neal wrote:

> We now have seven good records for Mexican Violetear in Arkansas.
> These span the period from early June to mid-September, but 5 of 7
> records involve second week of July to second half of August, with
> July most (3 records July 7-21).
>
> I had formerly assumed these must be birds wandering north after the
> breeding season, but now I’m not so sure, especially after reading
> what I have pasted below. It seems possible birds that reach Arkansas
> may be associated with the northernmost populations of Mexican
> Violetears that migrate north to their breeding areas in July. I was
> especially impressed that most of the Arkansas records are from the
> forested Ozarks that may in some respects resemble possible breeding
> habitat for inexperienced birds that overshoot in migration. This is
> all just wild speculation on my part. But interesting …
>
> The following is from Wilson Bulletin (now Wilson Journal of
> Ornithology), vol 57, no. 3 (September 1946) “NOTESONTHELIFEHISTORY
> MEXICANVIOLET-EAR” by HELMUTH 0. WAGNER:
>
> “TheMexicanViolet-ear(Colibrithalassinus) is primarilyabird of the
> mountainforest.Its breeding habitat in the mountains surrounding the
> Vallede Mexico is the oak-pine-cypress forest.Since the destruction of
> the forest and the cultivationof the land, the Violet-ear has adapted
> itself in some degree to the new environment. Inits northern range the
> MexicanViolet-earis in part a migratory bird.Thefemales, the young,
> and a varyingpercentage of the adult males go south inOctober
> andearlyNovember andreturntotheir breeding range in July …
> Environmentalconditions greatlyinfluence the percentage of males that
> migrate; as wellas the time thatmigrationtakes place.According to
> reports from1873 and 1874, all Violet-ears then migrated in winter.The
> non-migratorymales usuallystay as vagrants inthe firforest(2,900to
> 3,500meters)at places where there are flowering plants even in
> winter.Indry winters, however, all the males leave the area by the
> second half of February. Immediatelyafter their returnin July,the
> females begin building the nest.”

or click the following link: