Date: 7/19/22 8:25 am
From: Bob Bailey <bohemewarbler...>
Subject: no sighting - addendum to "number of birdsongs absent or greatly diminished now"
It was pointed out correctly that I short-thrifted the period that migrating woodland songbirds go through before fall migration (i.e. raising their young). Specifically, I was reminded that birds stop singing or greatly reduce their singing when raising their young.

I believe that. However, I've always read that young songbirds also need to learn their species-specific song by imitating that song provided by the male parent. Thus, I would think I would still hear the woodland songbirds singing through this period as they teach their young the proper species-specific song. Would that result in a lull followed by a return to singing?

I think part of my omission from my original post might be because there's so little information regarding the fledgling period.

I just checked my copy of Birds of Missouri - their Distribution and Abundance, and noticed the terms feeding, fledglings, are nesting, for example, are not indexed. Skimming through the texts of individual species in the book, I couldn't find anything related to that period of the lifecycle.

Similarly, taking a quick glimpse at Peterson Field Guides Warblers, there's a lot of detailed information about description, voice, behavior, habitat, distributions, etc. It also provides a description of the nest, and clutch size, but a quick glimpse doesn't seem to indicate when a species is in its fledgling stage and how long that lasts.

Skimming through allaboutbirds.org (Cornell) there is much detail about each species, but when it comes to details regarding the fledge stage, it boils down to this sort of description (Kentucky Warbler): "Males guard females throughout incubation. After the young fledge, the parents often go their separate ways and split up caring for fledglings."

Anybody have suggestions where to find detailed information regarding that time period referred to as "summer" that provides a typical time frame in which migrating songbirds incubate and then raise their young and associated behavior?

Bob Bailey
St. Louis, MO
<bohemewarbler...>