Date: 7/18/22 7:09 pm
From: Frank Mantlik via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Stratford CURLEW SANDPIPER notes
7/18 Stratford, Short Beach golf course marshy pool opposite 257 Short Beach Rd.- CURLEW SANDPIPER
After discovering this rare shorebird about 11:25am today, I got word out through several sources immediately. As a result I have tallied that at least 64 other birders got to see this "cracking" bright adult in near-breeding plumage...despite rain showers (some heavy) and some lightning and thunder. I and others have posted directions for where to park and where not to park. Also DO NOT walk on the golf course itself.
My best assessment is that this is about the 10th record for Connecticut (COA ARCC, Zeranski & Baptist, eBird). It is the first since one on May 15, 2012 at Hammonassett (one observer?), and the first chaseable one since a juvenile in Old Lyme present there Oct 8-13, 1998. It is the second one I have found in CT; previously I found one adult at Milford Point May 14, 1981.
I have posted my photos on Flickr here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/avocetfm/with/52224893777/
I plan to search for it near dawn tomorrow, and will post any updates.
Frank Mantlik
Stratford