Date: 7/18/22 5:10 pm
From: Paul Smith via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Curlew Sandpiper practicalities
Hello Everyone,A word of advice for those of going to see the Curlew Sandpiper.  Although there is a nice grassy margin to Short Beach Road, it is posted as No Parking.  The side roads do not have any such signage, so I would advise you to park there.  I was told that you can also park at the golf course for $10.
A woman, who I believe is one of the commissioners of the golf course, was extremely upset with the influx of birders and made something of a scene.  I heard her calling the police to request enforcement of the no parking regulation.  She also said that we were not allowed to stand along the fence, but I saw no signage to that effect.
I do not intend to start a group discussion about etiquette and interactions with non-birders.  Please don't take this conversation in that direction.  I want you to be aware of the parking restriction and the likelihood that it will be enforced.
I was able to engage this woman in a more constructive conversation for a short time.  What's driving her reaction is that apparently a birder was hit by a golf ball earlier.  I'm sure the golf course has significant liability.   So please keep an eye on what's happening on the golf course.  This is, in more than one sense, a heads-up.
Paul SmithNew Haven