Date: 7/18/22 1:07 pm
From: Bob Bailey <bohemewarbler...>
Subject: number of birdsongs absent or greatly diminished now
eBird Mobile TracksLearn more<https://ebird.org/checklist/S115316693#tracks-info-panel>
Checklist Comments

Text from my eBird checklist today (7-18-22) at Lost Valley and the same generally applies to Clark Trail from Wednesday (7-13-22):

General birdsongs from previous hikes were absent or greatly diminished on this hike, suggesting that vocalizations associated with breeding, nesting, and territory are transitioning to fall migration. For example: Instead of typical 5-8 American Restarts and N. Parulas here earlier in the season, I only heard one of each singing. I heard no Kentucky Warblers singing, but had four visual observations due to their chip calls. No Worm-eating Warblers, Cerulean Warblers, Ovenbirds, or Louisiana Waterthrushes were singing, which I consistently can count on hearing during breeding season. Birding by ear is on the run!

Bob Bailey
St. Louis, MO
<bohemewarbler...>