Date: 7/18/22 12:06 pm
From: Jean Ellen Whatley <jeanellenwhatley...>
Subject: Re: No sightings, Perspective on Insect Declines and Their Impact
Hi All,

It was a sobering news week (aren't they all lately ?) but after hearing
about measures to address climate change being gutted from proposed federal
legislation, Dan's email about the insect decline took me right over the
edge. As birders, naturalists, environmentalists, conservationists -- name
your label, I just want to climb up on my roof and scream,* "what is the
matter with you people?" *

And...this would be directed first and foremost to my next door neighbors.

*SO...question for the group: *my next door neighbor uses all manner of
chemicals on his lawn AND pesticides -- paying 2 different guys to come and
spray once a month. The last time the fella from Orkin was here with the
mosquito bog, I was in my yard and I did ask him to spray in the direction
AWAY from my perennial bed with all my recent native flowers -- which I've
been cultivating for the past 4 years -- for the birds and the bees & the
butterflies. These are good neighbors and I do see him throwing bread out
to the birds (I have kept my mouth shut about that....) but I know he's got
a soft spot for the bird because he asks me about my bird boxes and feeders
and comments on how the hummingbird love the Rose of Sharon. *I SO want to
share with him that he is killing their food supply. *

What would you do? I literally get a knot in my stomach when I hear the
"merchant of death" perticide truck pull up and the guy rolls out the death
wand.

*Second question:* can municipalities enact ordinances prohibiting these
mosquito companies from spraying yards?

Thanks all, (sorry for the vent...)
Jean Whatley
Webster Groves