Date: 7/17/22 1:16 pm
From: Daniel Mason <millipede1977...>
Subject: Re: Limpkin at Bald Knob NWR
My thoughts, for what they're worth...
I don't know enough about Bald Knob. I've birded there just once. Does
it have the kind of mollusk population that would cause the bird to
stay? Why have the limpkins in Tulsa stayed so long while the ones in
Fayetteville seemed to have disappeared? Particular habitat? food
supply? I know in general Bald Knob seems an AWESOME place for birds...
but I can't speak to whether it's quite right for limpkins. I can't help
but wonder if that might factor in.

As far as people chasing goes... I'd hate to see people drive long
distances to come up empty handed...  but, it's a cool place even if you
don't find them. :)
I can say that the place is HUGE and that it would be impossible to see
every bird that's there. On the one hand, having not been seen after
multiple people have looked at various times, I'm guessing it may have
moved on... on the other hand, it might have found some well hidden
corner with plenty to eat and is still very present.
I'd suspect that, if it's there, someone would catch a glimpse of it
feeding at some point... but who knows.
All that to say, good luck, sincerely. I hope those that give chase will
be rewarded. :)
(or drive to Tulsa?  aside from those limpkins sticking around for so
long, you can do a little more birding from the shade there.)

Daniel Mason

On 7/17/2022 2:13 PM, plm108 wrote:
> I've heard from several folks that they've had no luck finding the
> Limpkin today (even as early as 7:30 this morning). Yesterday it was
> first spotted around 8:30/9a and soon disappeared into the tall
> grasses between the first and second cells. It wasn't sighted again
> until late afternoon, and by 6p was actively feeding in the open in
> cell 2. So, if anyone has the chance to go this evening, that may be a
> better option. Hopefully it will stick around at least until the
> dreadful heat descends upon us next week.
>
> Patty McLean

or click the following link: