Date: 7/16/22 9:19 pm
From: Daniel Scheiman <birddan...>
Subject: Stakeout Hotspot for Violetear
eBirders,

I have created a stakeout hotspot for this bird called “stakeout Mexican Violetear, Rabbit Hole, Eureka Springs (2022).” It should be publicly available by tomorrow. Please merge your personal locations into this hotspot.

Dan Scheiman

Little Rock, AR

On 7/16/22, 12:16 PM, "The Birds of Arkansas Discussion List on behalf of Michael" <ARBIRD-L...> on behalf of <mplinz...> wrote:

The Mexican Violetear continued this morning, giving frequent however brief views to eager birders. The homeowner said the bird is less frequent in the middle of the day. Today they offered viewing from 10a-7p. Those times may vary daily to meet the homeowners’ schedules, so please follow their requested protocol at the email address Joe referenced below before going.

It is a good idea to copy the directions from the rare bird Facebook page as it can be a little tricky getting there.

Michael and Patty (The Roadrunners…running in north Arkansas)

On Jul 16, 2022, at 5:51 AM, Joseph Neal <joeneal...> wrote:

A Mexican Violetear is visiting feeders in Carroll County, just a few miles south of Eureka Springs. The bird showed up on July 11. Judy Griffith, Vivek Govind Kumar, and I saw it late yesterday. This is about the seventh record for Arkansas and apparently first documented one Arkansas in two decades.

Judy emailed me video grabs of the big hummer taken by the homeowners. I shared them with Vivek. When I saw them, some very old brain cells unused for 30 years screamed “Green Violetear,” an old name for a bird I had seen in 1990, when in August and September it visited a feeder east of Rogers.

The old Green Violetear is now recognized as Mexican Violetear and Lesser Violetear. Vivek realized this must be Mexican Violear.

The homeowners, Laura and Kevin Wood, have a fine hummingbird feeder set up. When we arrived at their place (5:20 PM) we had the big green hummer in just a few minutes. I do mean big – a giant compared to a dozen Ruby-throated Hummingbirds visiting same feeders.

Mexican Violetears nest in upland pine-oak forests and edge with clearings in southern Mexico and Central America. The Wood place is upland forest, with mature shortleaf pine and mixed hardwood species. The Woods are building a home in a relatively small clearing enclosed by this forest habitat.

Post-breeding season dispersal as documented in eBird reports for Mexican Violetears are scattered mainly across the eastern US, including well north and east of Arkansas. They cross state and national boundaries without walls, and with ease and no paperwork!

Laura and Kevin Wood welcome other birders who are respectful of the land. If interested: <goodwinwood...>

To unsubscribe from the ARBIRD-L list, click the following link:

To unsubscribe from the ARBIRD-L list, click the following link:

or click the following link: