Date: 7/16/22 6:07 pm
From: Gail King <000003a724e104da-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Fw: Fwd: MEXICAN VIOLETEAR NEAR EUREKA SPRINGS
The MEXICAN VIOLETEAR continues this afternoon, July 16, appearing briefly every 30 minutes or so, while I was there today from about 2:30 and 4 p.m. Thank you to Kevin and Laura Wood, the gracious homeowners who allow visitors, and to Arkansas birders who got the word out, for me to see this beauty, my 634th species in the continental US! And thank you to Scott King, for doing the driving on this successful chase!
Information about contacting the owners for directions is below, and on the Facebook page for Arkansas Rare Birds. As always, it’s good to see fellow birders; Daniel Mason and Sara Morris there when we arrived, and Dan and Samantha Scheiman got there while we were waiting between sightings. The landowners have some chairs out for folks who needed them, you might consider bringing a cushion or folding stool. The subject bird was skittish, coming to the feeders briefly; I got my best look of it perched, in trees behind the feeders. Patience required, especially if you want pictures!
Gail Kinghappy visitor from Memphis, <TN901-268-0035kings4birds...>

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS

Begin forwarded message:

On Saturday, July 16, 2022, 12:17 PM, Michael <mplinz...> wrote:

The Mexican Violetear continued this morning, giving frequent however brief views to eager birders. The homeowner said the bird is less frequent in the middle of the day.  Today they offered viewing from 10a-7p. Those times may vary daily to meet the homeowners’ schedules, so please follow their requested protocol at the email address Joe referenced below before going.
It is a good idea to copy the directions from the rare bird Facebook page as it can be a little tricky getting there.
Michael and Patty (The Roadrunners…running in north Arkansas)

On Jul 16, 2022, at 5:51 AM, Joseph Neal <joeneal...> wrote:

A Mexican Violetear is visiting feeders in Carroll County, just a few miles south of Eureka Springs. The bird showed up on July 11. Judy Griffith, Vivek Govind Kumar, and I saw it late yesterday. This is about the seventh record for Arkansas and apparently first documented one Arkansas in two decades.

Judy emailed me video grabs of the big hummer taken by the homeowners. I shared them with Vivek. When I saw them, some very old brain cells unused for 30 years screamed “Green Violetear,” an old name for a bird I had seen in 1990, when in August and September it visited a feeder east of Rogers.

The old Green Violetear is now recognized as Mexican Violetear and Lesser Violetear. Vivek realized this must be Mexican Violear.

The homeowners, Laura and Kevin Wood, have a fine hummingbird feeder set up. When we arrived at their place (5:20 PM) we had the big green hummer in just a few minutes. I do mean big – a giant compared to a dozen Ruby-throated Hummingbirds visiting same feeders.

Mexican Violetears nest in upland pine-oak forests and edge with clearings in southern Mexico and Central America. The Wood place is upland forest, with mature shortleaf pine and mixed hardwood species. The Woods are building a home in a relatively small clearing enclosed by this forest habitat.

Post-breeding season dispersal as documented in eBird reports for Mexican Violetears are scattered mainly across the eastern US, including well north and east of Arkansas. They cross state and national boundaries without walls, and with ease and no paperwork!

Laura and Kevin Wood welcome other birders who are respectful of the land. If interested: <goodwinwood...>

To unsubscribe from the ARBIRD-L list, click the following link:

To unsubscribe from the ARBIRD-L list, click the following link:

or click the following link: