Date: 7/11/22 3:20 pm
From: Daniel Mason <millipede1977...>
Subject: Re: Bird Viewing Platform for Lake Sequoyah, Fayetteville
There are some birds that are only going to be viewable by boat, like
where the limpkins hung out most of the time. So, you'll still miss
quite a bit but, I think it's a great idea. I'm not sure the best place,
or how to go about any of it but I do know it will take someone very
determined to head it up... Either someone independently willing to work
with the town, etc... or, pulling in some Audubon people that might
carry a little more influence. :)
If you get a couple people interested, I might suggest organizing a
field trip for people to go and bird and also discuss ideas and even
volunteer if they'd like.
That's my 2 cents anyway.
I've only birded there maybe 5 or 6 times total in the last 4 years or
so. It's about 45 minutes from me and, the further something is from me
the less likely I am to do it. ha.  But it is a really cool place that
has had some really good birds. So, I do hope something can happen. :)

Daniel Mason

On 7/11/2022 11:22 AM, Betty Evans wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I had the opportunity to see the Ibis this morning at Lake Sequoyah
> and now am offering an idea for improving the viewing opportunities there.
>

> A large variety of waterfowl and shorebirds are often visible from the
> high bank area on the north shore of Lake Sequoyah, east of the
> bridge.  Unfortunately, the paths to get to the beaten down places we
> call overlooks are steep and rough.  And, once you get to the overlook
> you are facing a steep drop to the water.
>
> I would like to suggest that the local birding community come together
> to work with the city to install a floating platform (dock) for bird
> viewing.  The platform I envision would be placed along the highest
> part of the bank and have two levels. You would enter the platform at
> the top level via a ramp to the high bank and there would be stairs
> within the platform to the water level.  Viewing would be available at
> both levels. (Fishermen might want to utilize the lower level also.)
>
> I just have the idea, I am not well connected in Fayetteville to the
> parks department or to sources of funds.  I just know that I am
> apprehensive every time I go to the viewing areas along that part of
> the lake and I would like to see a safer, more easily accessible
> birding spot.  I hope there is someone out there on this list who
> likes this idea and has the right connections and/or is willing to
> lead the charge to make it happen.  I will be happy to provide support
> in any way I can.
>
> Betty Evans

or click the following link: