Date: 7/11/22 9:22 am
From: Betty Evans <betty_evans...>
Subject: Bird Viewing Platform for Lake Sequoyah, Fayetteville
Good morning,

I had the opportunity to see the Ibis this morning at Lake Sequoyah and now am offering an idea for improving the viewing opportunities there.

A large variety of waterfowl and shorebirds are often visible from the high bank area on the north shore of Lake Sequoyah, east of the bridge. Unfortunately, the paths to get to the beaten down places we call overlooks are steep and rough. And, once you get to the overlook you are facing a steep drop to the water.

I would like to suggest that the local birding community come together to work with the city to install a floating platform (dock) for bird viewing. The platform I envision would be placed along the highest part of the bank and have two levels. You would enter the platform at the top level via a ramp to the high bank and there would be stairs within the platform to the water level. Viewing would be available at both levels. (Fishermen might want to utilize the lower level also.)

I just have the idea, I am not well connected in Fayetteville to the parks department or to sources of funds. I just know that I am apprehensive every time I go to the viewing areas along that part of the lake and I would like to see a safer, more easily accessible birding spot. I hope there is someone out there on this list who likes this idea and has the right connections and/or is willing to lead the charge to make it happen. I will be happy to provide support in any way I can.

Betty Evans

or click the following link: