Date: 7/10/22 10:08 am
From: B. Miller <prairiechick45...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Northern Bobwhite
Good to hear of other Bobwhite sightings. The latest addition to my house list was an unexpected flock of Northern Bobwhites. Feeding in the grass behind my house next to a shrubby wooded area with their heads bobbing up and down were 8-10 of them.

Oddly I have yet to hear the usual Bobwhite call but after playing all of the other sounds made by Bobwhites there was one I did hear, sort of a ticking sound. I heard it while I was trying for another look, it was coming from my wooded area and I wondered what it was.

Habitat seems right but location of that habitat really unlikely for Bobwhites. I am in Des Moines, two blocks south from I235 and two blocks east of 63rd street. Other than the small creek and woods it is very urban. My last sighting of Bobwhites has to be 20 years ago along a country road.

Have been watching for them since the first time which was around June 20th but only the one sighting but my neighbor has had them in his yard a couple of times. It is curious there have been others seeing them.
Barb Miller
Des Moines

Sent from my iPad