Date: 7/9/22 12:00 pm
From: David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Local Interest - Returning shorebirds and other seasonal sightings last few days
Shorebirds are starting to return to Crissy Lagoon, with most just passing through. On Tuesday an AMERICAN AVOCET was in the southwest corner. Thursday there were LEAST SANDPIPERS, WESTERN SANDPIPER, a SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER, and a GREATER YELLOWLEGS. A LONG-BILLED CURLEW showed up yesterday (still there today), along with a LEAST SANDPIPER.  Also yesterday a female BELTED KINGFISHER was fishing on the south side. AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS are there most days (there were 8 on Thursday). A WOOD DUCK continues at Stow Lake (along with the resident HOODED MERGANSER). Lots of newly fledged birds around - at Fort Mason the last WESTERN BLUEBIRD chick has left the nest, a young HOODED ORIOLE was behind the General's House and young BLACK PHOEBES are hanging around the north fence of the garden.  When I got back to my car at El Polin Spring on Tuesday, a newly fledged MOURNING DOVE was sitting next to my car.