Date: 11/24/21 10:15 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (24 Nov 2021) 9 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 9 6552 94338

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess, Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
We are still dealing with the residue of the Covid 19 situation. The
workers at the site will be in an enclosed area that is designed for four
people only. We still love to interact and share our love of hawk watching
with visitors. Feel free to ask questions and look over our shoulders to
help you follow the birds. Watch the weather for favorable forecasts as the
birds are predictable to some degree based on weather situations.
One other thing of note this year; the boat-launch bathroom building has
been shut down for the foreseeable future due to plumbing issues. There are
Porta-Johns in the parking lot should you require them.

Weather:
Last night, when I drew the tarot card for today’s forecast, it was No.
XII in the Major Arcana, The Hanged Man. A card that represents
consequence, surrender, stagnation and a situation that must be waited out,
and so it was. The lake was quite choppy when we arrived indicating the
southern winds were there well before we were. White horses were galloping
freely on top of the waves. The resultant northward push on the raptors
from these winds was sure to make our day a long one. At least we were
fairly comfortable as the temperature rose to forty-seven degrees and we
are sheltered from most southwest winds. The barometer started its decline
towards a bottom tomorrow when the rain comes. Clouds were high cirrus for
the most part, foretelling the rain. Towards the end of the day, lower and
thicker stratus clouds arrived on scene darkening what had been a fairly
bright but barren day.

Raptor Observations:
Most of the raptors we expect to see at this time of year are buteos. They
seem to be especially sensitive to wind direction, taking flight lines that
depend on the angle and strength of the wind. For the most part, with a
strong southern wind we see very few birds at our site. Today was one of
those days as we netted nine birds on the day. Four of those birds were
turkey vultures that were taking routes that kept them well below the tree
line with only occasional glimpses of them. Two birds were red-tailed
hawks. One bird was an extraordinarily colored bald eagle. We didn’t get
a good look at this bird but it had an unusual amount of white on it. It
too was staying low behind the trees. One harrier made its way against the
wind early in the day. A single sharpie was observed fighting its way along
the tree line.

Non-raptor Observations:
Lots of ducks were winging their way to the wintering grounds today. There
seemed to be some large gatherings of them out on the lake, although not as
large as last week. A few flights of horned larks passed by today. Our
Bonaparte’s gulls were sitting out the wind at times, bobbing on the
unsettled water. A pair of mute swans made an early morning appearance.

Predictions:
Tomorrow will be a day of rest for the hawk watch. The weather will be
rainy and the barometer will be low. Winds will be from the SW area again,
although not as persistent as today’s. Not a lot to like there so we will
take advantage of the holiday. I should like to wish everyone a peaceful
Thanksgiving in which you are mindful of the things in your life that make
it worthwhile and are worthy of thanks.
Report submitted by Kevin Georg (<kevin.l.georg...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<0101017d55bbbe6f-3594751f-06e1-47e1-9eeb-b199c16c8c6c-000000...>