Date: 11/24/21 1:56 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Bit of a hawk movement today - Half Moon Bay.
Birders

The light offshore winds today seemed to have concentrated some raptors
moving south. I noticed a couple of vultures, red-tail and a harrier flying
south over my place in Half Moon Bay so though I would do a more focused
hawk watch. I blew it as a distant raptor that went by had a pale tail base
and I could not get it to species (Harlan's??...not sure), so brought out
the scope for a better view of distant birds. Most were over to the east,
along the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Main move was of Red-tails
and Turkey Vultures, at one point a kettle of 4 Red-tails made their way
south. The most exciting sighting was an adult Golden Eagle getting
bombarded by a Peregrine. They were several miles away near Ox-Mountain
landfill, but nevertheless it is only the second time I have seen a Golden
Eagle from the yard, so a big deal. There were distant White-throated
Swifts, and one "Chaetura" which I could not identify at this distance. A
total of 8 species of raptor over the house today. There were American
Kestrel on the dog walk for 9 species in the local patch today.which is not
bad:

Turkey Vulture

White-tailed Kite

Golden Eagle