Date: 11/24/21 1:37 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: [de-birds] Ashland Nature Center (24 Nov 2021) 117 Raptors

Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0
Swainson's Hawk 0 0 1

Total: 117 2409 13687

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: David Brown

Observers: Dean Coffin, Joe Swertinski, Jordan Brown, Kim Steininger,
Lana Glass, Sue McLaughlin

Visitors:
15

Weather:
Clear skies except for a few afternoon clouds. Light northwesterly winds.

Raptor Observations:
Steady migration but tough spotting against the blue skies. A few dozen
vultures. Seven Bald Eagles. Three harriers and a handful of Accipiters.
Good Buteo migration with 24 red-shoulders and 22 red-tails.

Juvenile Golden Eagle in the noon hour that glided high overhead. Adult
Golden Eagle was the last bird of the day and was spotted far in front over
the mini-donut so we got to watch it for about 15 minutes until it finally
glided past on our right just before 4pm. Excellent scope views of the
topside and underside as it soared around in the afternoon light. Not a
hint of white in the wings or tail. Nice tawny bars on top of the wings. An
adult is a rare treat for us here. We are now at 15 Golden Eagles for the
season which is the third highest season ever (18 in 2014, 23 in 2013).

Non-raptor Observations:
500 Canada Geese, Great Blue Heron, 2 Common Ravens, Purple Finch, 25
Brown-headed Cowbirds, 750 Common Grackles.

eBird: https://ebird.org/checklist/S98021693

Predictions:
Tomorrow: Cloudy skies early then partial clearing. High 12C. Winds light
and variable. Expect light to moderate migration.

Friday: Windy and sunny. High around 5C. Winds WNW at 30-50km/h. Higher
gusts possible. Expect light to moderate migration and uncomfortable
viewing conditions.

Saturday: Sunny with some cloudy intervals. High near 5C. Winds WNW at
15-35km/h. Expect moderate migration.
Report submitted by David Brown (<davidebrownpa...>)
Ashland Nature Center information may be found at:
www.delnature.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=663
Count data submitted via Dunkadoo - Project info at:
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/delmarva-ornithological-society/ashland-hawk-count-fall-2021

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Join us on Facebook!