Date: 11/24/21 12:06 pm
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Vaux's Swift (1 report)
- American Crow (1 report)
- Tennessee Warbler (1 report)
- Palm Warbler (1 report)
- Summer Tanager (1 report)
- Black-headed Grosbeak (1 report)

Vaux's Swift (Chaetura vauxi) (1)
- Reported Nov 23, 2021 14:00 by Matt Cahill
- Santa Cruz Island--Potato Harbor Trail, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.5843309&<ll...>,-119.5843309
- Comments: "(Rare & Unreported Dot) Thought this must be late and unusual. Well seen flying along cliff edge as we were hiking, actually a bit below us so we were looking down upon it, but close enough that no binos needed. Small, fast flapping all-brown swift with small cigar body and long pointed wings.

Clearly not a white-throated swift by color, size, and tail shape, nor a black swift color, size and flight pattern. Considered possibility of a chimney swift but the wings were not club shaped at the tips and it was quite small, too small to be a chimney.

I see that there are few records on eBird, mostly in fall migration."

American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) (1)
- Reported Nov 23, 2021 14:38 by Matt Cahill
- Santa Cruz Island--Scorpion Campground, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.5624803&<ll...>,-119.5624803
- Comments: "(Rare) Thought I was seeing a crow, but came up rare so needed to check and now I see there is a continuing bird on the island.

Spotted at the corral, tucked in a tree above the bathrooms. Small stature and short square tail stood out as it being not a raven."

Tennessee Warbler (Leiothlypis peregrina) (1)
- Reported Nov 23, 2021 13:33 by Anonymous eBirder
- 6900 Market Place Drive, Goleta, California, US (34.429, -119.87), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8701988&<ll...>,-119.8701988
- Comments: "Very very incidental find. I was at my car coming from the natural cafe when I saw a yellow-rumped warbler chasing a smaller bird in a green leavesd tree (not sure what the species was) in the parking lot. The only reason my attention was drawn is because the yellow-rumped was being very loud and aggressive towards the other bird. My initial glance showed that it was small and greenish-yellow and my first instinct was a ruby-crowned kinglet. As I watched it though I noticed that I did not see any wing bars, the tail was very short, and there was no white around the eye. It came in closer I could see it was a small warbler mostly yellowish green in color, thin bill, very short tail, and dark line running through the eye. I thought it was a Tennessee so I grabbed my binoculars from the car and indeed it was! Better views showed all of the aforementioned traits plus whitish undertale coverts. It also gave a chip call which was much different than an orange crowned. Not being from the area I did a little eBird sleuthing and saw that another Tennessee was seen in the same parking lot in March 2020. Imagine that. This was between the natural cafe and the home Depot."

Palm Warbler (Setophaga palmarum) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Nov 23, 2021 13:20 by Bernice Hilton
- Santa Maria Cemetery, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.4256487&<ll...>,-120.4256487
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Prev reported bird this locale. Found across from water element and olive trees near entrance. Solo bird with constant tail bobbing. Poor photo included."

Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra) (1)
- Reported Nov 21, 2021 14:04 by Steve Rottenborn
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.84975&<ll...>,-119.84975
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing female or hatch-year male on northeast side of Stowe House. Originally in eucalyptus but then spent time "flycatching" for bees in live oaks."

Black-headed Grosbeak (Pheucticus melanocephalus) (1)
- Reported Nov 21, 2021 by Hannah Carbone
- Cachuma Lake Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.9579144&<ll...>,-119.9579144
- Comments: "Unmistakable, at the feeder by the nature center"

View/Reply Online (#33308): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/33308
-=-=-
Updated status and distribution of Santa Barbara County birds: http://www.sbcobirding.com/lehmanbosbc.html
SB County eBird Hotspot Data Gaps Project: http://www.sbcobirding.com/sbcohotspots.html