Date: 11/24/21 9:20 am
From: Ronald- Thorn via groups.io <Tronthorn...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Coastal sightings 11/23

Yesterday, November 23 I headed out for a seawatch. It was not the best time for a seawatch after  the northeast wind from the day before. A northeast wind will push birds further out away from shore. Yesterday, there was a light north wind and the visibility was good with a clear sky. The number ofNorthern Fulmars dropped way down with only ( 6 ) noted. There were no feeding frenzies that hadattracted Bonaparte's Gulls and Black-legged Kittiwakes, as of my previous seawatch. Finally theflood gates open for migrating Pacific Loons. In 2 hours, 30 minutes, there were ( 2, 800 ) PacificLoons flying south in mostly groups high above the water. The largest continuous stream had ( 180 ). There were ( 310 ) Red-throated Loons. An ANCIENT MURRELET was southbound.Later, in the parking lot for the Gazos Creek Access were ( 4 ) Greater White-fronted Geese  and a Aleutian Cackling Goose. All hatch-years, as most of the two species I have been noting. I decided to take the coastal back roads looking for raptors. The count of raptors was low.A casual visitor to the county was a PRAIRIE FALCON along Stage Road between PomponioCreek Road and San Gregorio. The Prairie Falcon was over a ridgeline where Stage Roadlevels off north of Pomponio Creek Road.
Ron Thorn