Date: 11/22/21 9:31 am
From: Bob Toleno <bob...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Catbird imposter - botanical garden?
Juli Chamberlin, Scott & Linda Terrill, and i were the observers who heard
the Gray Catbird yesterday and we were all confident in the ID. First, the
quality of the sound, though somewhat similarly nasal, was noticeably
"raspier" than a sapsucker. Scott especially has heard a huge number of
catbirds and sapsuckers calling and would be unlikely to confuse the two.
Also, the 4-5 calls we heard came from below us, near ground level, from
low dense vegetation at the edge of the pond, which is not a location i
would expect to hear a sapsucker calling from. It is unfortunate that
catbirds are usually so skulky, because we all really wanted to see this
bird, and spent nearly an hour waiting at that spot hoping it would show
itself.

Bob Toleno
Hayward