Date: 11/17/21 10:10 am
From: Bob Toleno <bob...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Second Red-naped Sapsucker in Botanical Garden
I agree with you, Nina: the plumage on your bird from last month on the Log
Cabin trail matches perfectly with the one we saw yesterday, so it has to
be the same individual. Good eye! I would be very curious to hear from the
more knowledgeable people who identified this bird as Red-breasted X
Red-naped hybrid. I'm definitely not an expert on this genus, and i'm happy
to learn more, but nothing that Aaron or i saw while we were in the field,
and nothing that i can see from either Nina's photos or ours obviously
identifies this bird as a hybrid. The red was entirely restricted to the
crown, throat patch, and nape. I assumed that a Red-breasted hybrid would
always show at least a few red feathers elsewhere on the face or breast. Is
that assumption incorrect? Are there other field marks that point toward
hybrid that i'm missing?

Thanks in advance,
Bob Toleno
Hayward