Date: 11/17/21 7:01 am
From: Felix Sangari via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Snowy owls: Is this an irruption year? (Slightly off-topic)
Greetings from Spain,
As you have been discussing the recent sightings of snowy owls in CT I want to share some info with you, and ask your expert opinion.. In the last 10 days we have had 3 snowy owls in the north coast of Spain. The first one was recovered in Santander (where I live) on Nov 6th, a young male in very poor condition, that was taken to a rescue center but died next day. A female was located the 10th, and another male the 13th. Those two are apparently in good condition and flying around Cabo Peñas in Asturias. No rings or leashes that could point to an escape. As the european population is scarce, and there are no reported sightings between Norway and northen Spain, the idea is that they arrived from Canada. Are you aware of any bird movement, any storm, anything that could confirm this origin or explain the journey? Just as a curiosity, as we are more than happy to just watch these amazing visitors from the other side of the pond..
Félix J. SangariSantander (Spain)
PD: We are not used to watch snowies, and people from all over Spain and France are going there to see them, but everybody is behaving extremely well, and no one was closer than 100 yards the first days. Let's see if this respect continues..