Date: 11/16/21 7:25 pm
From: Nina Bai <aninanina...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Second Red-naped Sapsucker in Botanical Garden
Hi folks,

I believe this is the same bird that was at the Log Cabin trail (where the Virginia’s Warbler was) last month. First seen on 10/19. I went back the next morning for additional photos and videos:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S96491471

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ypPrTF6tfQEraamW8

The pattern on the back and secondaries seem to match up as well as the amount of red on the back of the head.

I think there’s a good argument for this being a Red-naped, though others more knowledgeable than I have suggested hybrid with Red-breasted. Curious what others think!

Nina

--
Nina Bai
San Francisco