Date: 11/16/21 4:14 pm
From: Bob Toleno <bob...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Second Red-naped Sapsucker in Botanical Garden
Aaron Maizlish found a Red-naped Sapsucker in the Botanical Garden today at
around 11:30am that appears to be a different individual than the male that
Alan Hopkins found in the Fragrance Garden. This bird appears to be an
adult female, though it lacks the white chin that most female RNSA show.
(I'm not 100% sure of the sex, though, and would be happy to be corrected.)
He spotted this bird in a tree with extensive sap wells on the border
between the nectar garden and the redwood grove, approximately here:
37.767046, -122.472229

Aaron's bird has a number of characters that are different than the
Fragrance Garden bird, including a thinner white supercilium, a small
vertical row of white spots to the left of the parallel rows of whitish
bars on the back, and a narrower red throat patch. Our (poor) photos and
write-ups can be found in our eBird reports:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S97681324
https://ebird.org/checklist/S97680536

Good birding,
Bob Toleno