Date: 11/13/21 8:38 pm
From: Hans-Joachim Feddern <thefedderns...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Northwestern Crow back on the docket
Somewhat related to me is the difference in vocalization between American
Crows here in the great Northwest and American Crows on the East Coast. I
lived in Maryland and never heard an American Crow make the meowing cat
call sound there! Are we talking subspecies here? Of course I never heard
of anybody suggesting to lump Fish Crow with American Crow either!

On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 6:20 PM Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:

> Well it's my understanding that one ornithologist is recommending
> reinstatement, with considerable backup data. But there is a rigorous
> argument against reinstatement by the ornithologist who got it lumped in
> the first place. Not considered as yet so no decision. I would guess,
> after reading the arguments, that it will not be resplit.
> Bob OBrien Portlad
>
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 9:27 AM Peter Mann <pmann...> wrote:
>
>> Steve
>>
>> If I rad the AOS proposal correctly, they recommend *reinstating* the NW
>> Crow as a separate species in Northern BC and Alaska, while acknowledging
>> that we (Puget Sound) are in a hybrid zone
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Nov 13, 2021, at 7:16 AM, Steve Hampton <stevechampton...>
>> wrote:
>>

>> The American Ornithological Society (AOS) has released the new proposals
>> for splitting and lumping that it is considering. They are here:
>> https://americanornithology.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/2022-A.pdf
>> <https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2famericanornithology.org%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2021%2f11%2f2022-A.pdf&c=E,1,U8p0WbkgHYgdp1bvKD6ekmuBBFcn01XLftMu9_NsQm1BhlWGcgtjpGvblr_CpTHqU_Pmz7yjEU0cbGI_10WQqz6NrXubAfekWVF_aEgwzt4q5ktFS2dd7qED&typo=1>
>>
>> Most concern splits of extralimital subspecies in the tropics (the AOS
>> covers all of North America thru Panama).
>>
>> However, the first proposal on the list is to re-merge Northwestern Crow
>> with American Crow.
>>
>> They were split last year based on research presented in Slager et al
>> (2020). The proposal to re-merge is based on Butler (2021), a re-analysis
>> of Slager's data. And there is a rebuttal from Slager in the pdf as well.
>> It's a bit mind-numbing reading, but that's the scientific process at work.
>> Regardless, both sides seem to agree that Washington is in the
>> hybrid/intergrade zone.
>>
>> happy crowing,
>>
>> --
>> Steve Hampton