Date: 11/11/21 5:25 pm
From: K Zak <kznrrg...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Re: Snowy owl
It is not my intention to nitpick a thoughtful email. This is to those that are conflicted to our rights to view these magical birds. I have done my share of wildlife videography/photography and rescued and attempted to rescue many birds of prey from the smallest to the largest. Notwithstanding Julian Hough’s meaningful email I argue in the alternative regarding only the highlighted portion below.

As an example, red tails are not of the same temperament as coopers. But at the same time I find many variations of tolerance between the same species with some terrified, others (apparently) calm while others aggressive. As a rule they are sensitive to a human presence unless totally distracted. I have been able to approach a Great Blue Heron within a few feet in a Boston pond while others on the Naugatuck River scare at 1000 feet. Some Osprey’s, Peregrine’s and Eagle's are so sensitive you need to hide in a blind and others pose and could not care less. Including, but not limited to, other ingredients like where and what the bird is doing.

I wish to make clear I did not see first hand everyone “surrounding" this Snowy at "30 feet”.

I know first hand a goodly amount of these snow birds have had to be rescued, rehabbed and released and some have perished from starvation.

A common rule is if the bird of prey allows you to get pretty close and it is not mantling its prey - as I suspect this one was not (as many photos suggest) - and as A Place Called Hope suggested - it could be in trouble. Why take that chance?

When does one put down the camera and save the subject? That is a tough decision If you are not sure - consider taking your pictures at a greater distance and don’t surround it. Observe and call (A Place Called Hope?) if it causes you concern. Sometimes it is necessary to have someone with experience watch it. Binoculars go a long way.

If you are unaware of proper behavior there have been many links provided within these numerous ctbird emails. Hours can translate into life or death. The sad part is none of these photographers/viewers will ever know they contributed to the owls demise.

They are beautiful and mystical creatures making it hard to entertain critical self awareness and contemplate thoughts of backing off and watching at a distance.

If you can’t spend the necessary time to wait for it to fly team up with others and combine your observations. We all have ability to text and photograph privately for coordination and location.

Do I believe they are scared or agitated? Probably not. But that is not the critical question. Starvation is a reality - why mess with that if you are not sure. It takes a lot of energy to fly. If they are starving it is not going to fly away regardless of being scared or agitated. If it can’t get flight or stays on the low perch and is on the slow road to death this hunger is not a anthropomorphic human emotion mapped onto the bird. Yes, they are hardy owls and capable predators and will fly if capable and if you are patient enough to observe.

You can save its life or better yet - watch it fly.

Respectfully,
Kevin Zak
President
NRRG

> On Nov 9, 2021, at 11:11 AM, Julian hough

> "The simple lesson is one of fieldcraft and etiquette yet I often sense there is a lot of assumptions by people that the owl is scared, hungry, agitated, sick, dying, etc. This is of course often an emotional human aspect mapped onto the bird that often has no basis in a particular situation. Studies have shown many/most migrant Snowy Owls are hardy creatures, capable of hunting offshore for ducks and finding and dispatching various types of prey quite easily."

On Nov 10, 2021, at 3:30 AM, <ctbirds-request...> wrote:

than "Re: Contents of CTBirds digest..." and also be sure to
*** TRIM OFF THE UNRELATED PORTIONS OF THE MESSAGE ***

Today's Topics:

1. Re: Rarities, crowds and behavior (Christina Cole)
2. Re: Rarities, crowds and behavior (Doug Wisneski)
3. ​COA’s Winter Waterfowl Workshop - Nov. 27 online & Nov. 28 in person
(Cynthia Ehlinger)

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 12:52:42 -0500
From: Christina Cole <gooutsidect...>