Date: 11/3/21 4:34 pm
From: Caroline Fegley <cgfegley...>
Subject: Bald Eagle Mtn (3 Nov 2021)
Greetings from the mountain,
It was an amazing day at the watch! I finally have all 16 PA daytime
raptors on my lifelist with the RLHA that flew directly overhead this
afternoon. I definitely shed a few tears of joy. This was also the first
RLHA recorded in Bald Eagle Mtn's data and the first of the season for our
local watches.
Tomorrow winds are expected to be basically nonexistent first thing in the
morning, so both Tussey and Bald Eagle Mtn might have a slightly later
start than normal. Once the winds pick up, they will be W/WSW so the count
will be at the north lookout.

Happy birding!
- Caroline Fegley

Bald Eagle Mountain - Eagle Field
State College, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 03, 2021

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 28 118 1676
Osprey 0 0 53
Bald Eagle 13 26 142
Northern Harrier 0 0 34
Sharp-shinned Hawk 6 15 363
Cooper's Hawk 4 5 47
Northern Goshawk 0 0 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1 3 15
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 1164
Red-tailed Hawk 38 190 518
Rough-legged Hawk 1 1 1
Golden Eagle 3 13 41
American Kestrel 0 0 82
Merlin 1 1 20
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 13
Unknown Accipiter 0 3 13
Unknown Buteo 0 0 2
Unknown Falcon 0 0 4
Unknown Eagle 0 0 2
Unknown Raptor 0 0 15

Total: 95 375 4206

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Caroline Fegley

Observers: Bill Chambers, Nick Bolgiano, Peggy Wagoner, Susan Smith

Visitors:
Dave Arbutina
Karl and Walter Striediek and two women
Ron Rovansek and Steve

Weather:
Partly cloudy skies with coverage building throughout the day. WNW winds
4-14 mph with speeds decreasing in the afternoon. A few snowflakes during
the last hour with a dark cloud front. Count conducted at north lookout.

Raptor Observations:
We had our first RLHA for the watchsite and a lifer for me! Birds were
moving along the ridge fairly well until the winds died down.

GOEA:
1040 Ad
1215 Ad
1522 Sub

BAEA:
0959 Ad
1041 Imm
1044 Imm
1150 (2) Imm
1245 Imm
1250 Imm
1255 Imm
1305 Imm
1425 Imm
1522 Imm
1553 J

RLHA:
1509 Light-phase

Min # local:
BAEA 2 Ad
TUVU 2
RTHA 1

Non-raptor Observations:
Not a lot of activity today, but more loons, finches, robins, and
cormorants.

For a full checklist:
https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Febird.org%2Fchecklist%2FS97087560&amp;data=04%7C01%<7Cscbirdcl...>%7C180b4e08a3f14e080fb308d99f228390%7C7cf48d453ddb4389a9c1c115526eb52e%7C0%7C0%7C637715792857300340%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=YMF1eyRMsZj%2Fa4MwBoQjqtMgw6CUlG5DzTBh4TInpqM%3D&amp;reserved=0

Predictions:
No wind expected in the morning, so will probably start slightly later than
normal. Winds will be W/WSW so count will be at north lookout.
Report submitted by Caroline Fegley ()

Join us on Facebook!