Date: 10/31/21 3:58 pm
From: Caroline Fegley <cgfegley...>
Subject: Tussey Mtn (31 Oct 2021)
Greetings from the mountain!
The birds played some tricks with weird silhouettes and flight patterns due
to the heavy winds, but the mountain provided a lot of treats with
beautiful foliage, an afternoon rainbow, and some particularly good looks
at GOEAs and a RSHA.
Winds tomorrow are predicted to be WNW and the skies will be partly cloudy.
Des will be back on Tussey and I will be covering Bald Eagle.

Happy Halloween!
- Caroline Fegley

Tussey Mountain Hawk Watch
State College, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 31, 2021

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 68 867 867
Osprey 0 4 43
Bald Eagle 8 47 122
Northern Harrier 0 10 19
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 325 493
Cooper's Hawk 1 25 52
Northern Goshawk 0 1 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1 2 2
Broad-winged Hawk 0 1 1265
Red-tailed Hawk 37 137 152
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 6 13 13
American Kestrel 0 29 125
Merlin 0 9 19
Peregrine Falcon 0 10 22
Unknown Accipiter 0 7 10
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 3
Unknown Eagle 2 3 3
Unknown Raptor 0 12 22

Total: 124 1502 3233

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 5.83 hours

Official Counter: Caroline Fegley

Observers:

Weather:
Rain and fog delayed start. Cloud cover remained low and at 100% until the
last hour. Fog and periodic showers kept moving through for most of the
count, though the birds kept migrating fairly consistently despite the
precipitation. W/WNW winds 10-31 kph

Raptor Observations:
Better migration than expected despite the rain. Heavy W winds caused birds
to fly with wrists pushed forward and could sometimes cause unsteady
flight. This made it difficult to identify two eagles early in the day and
required extra careful looks overall.

UE:
1000 - N valley within 30m above eye level
1209 - N valley below eye level

GOEA:
1039 unknown age
1046 J
1129 Sub
1221 Ad
1244 Ad
1427 Ad

BAEA (all Imm)
1137
1139
1305
1349
1444

Minimum # local raptors:
3 BLVU
2 TUVU
1 BAEA Imm

Non-raptor Observations:
Not much activity, especially after the first two hours. There were more
crows than I usually see (up to 10 at once). I've usually only been seeing
the usual adult raven pair plus one other occasional raven, so I believe
the juvenile flock may have moved out of the area.

For a full checklist:https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Febird.org%2Fchecklist%2FS96958982&amp;data=04%7C01%<7Cscbirdcl...>%7C5bafeed512be432a5ffc08d99cc1f8d9%7C7cf48d453ddb4389a9c1c115526eb52e%7C0%7C0%7C637713179181093611%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=g3t1jk28tVg4rnbuCfztHUiWAZC%2F3%2F%2BzK2jA6Fw3lXY%3D&amp;reserved=0

Predictions:
Des will be at Tussey, Caroline will be covering Bald Eagle. Partly cloudy
skies with WNW winds. Colder than today.
Report submitted by Caroline Fegley ()
Tussey Mountain Hawk Watch information may be found
at:tusseymountainspringhawkwatch.org/

Join us on Facebook!