Date: 10/31/21 12:33 pm
From: Angela Dimmitt via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Re: Snowy Owl posts
Well put, Chuck.Angela Dimmitt

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Imbergamo <imbercj...>
To: Jesse LeBlanc <cptnhalfbeard...>; Melani Lust <melanilust...>
Cc: Ct Birds <ctbirds...>
Sent: Sun, Oct 31, 2021 1:55 pm

Hi All – First, thank you Roy for stating the rules that posts about Snowy Owls ARE allowed.

I would add that a very high percentage of Snowy Owls that I have observed are not accessible, either by distance or location (on top of a structure, Osprey platform, out in a marsh, etc.).  An exception was a Snowy seen years ago on the dunes of Cape Cod - the bird was only 20 feet from a path through the dunes.  People trying to photograph the bird surrounded it and eventually people spoke up, and everyone backed off.  Because the bird was so accessible, there was an opportunity for it to be closely approached, and in that case I would hope that no one would post about the bird.

So the lesson is that just because you CAN post about a Snowy Owl doesn’t mean that you SHOULD.  Any time you have concerns about the welfare of a bird, ANY bird, you should refrain from posting about it, regardless of whether the rules forbid the post.  Always use your best judgement, and default to the safety of the bird.

I hope this brings this topic to a close.

Chuck Imbergamo
CT Birds Moderator
Madison