Date: 10/30/21 9:15 am
From: BRAD Liljequist <bradliljequist...>
Subject: [Tweeters] More details on shearwater sightings
Hi all,

I thought I should add that the shearwaters I posted about last night were both all dark and dark with light underwings. It was the latter I was unsure about whether they were Sooty vs Short tailed.

I did run across this excellent ABA piece by Greg Gillson. Hope to see more reports today!! https://www.aba.org/birding_archive_files/v40n2p34.pdf
heseparationofShort-tailedShearwaterfromSooty Shearwaterisoneofthemostchallengingfieldidenti- ficationproblemsforbirdersinwesternNorthAmerica. Field Separation of Sooty and Short-tailed Shearwaters - ABA<https://www.aba.org/birding_archive_files/v40n2p34.pdf>
WWW.aBa.Org 35 off the West Coast of North America aperennialchallenge forbirdersonWestCoast pelagictripsisthesepara - tionofSootyShearwater (left)andShort-tailed Shearwater (right).This articlereviewsplumage
www.aba.org
Brad Liljequist
Phinney Ridge, Seattle