Date: 9/20/21 10:05 pm
From: Arthur Macmillan <grrrrrrrrrr8...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Lesser Sand-Plover ID help
Oh, I don't know. I've kind of enjoyed some of the rare birds that have
dropped in on us, and even stuck around for several days or longer. It's
hard to imagine a bird is going to be sticking around after someone nets
him, measures him, weighs him, and then dumps him unceremoniously back
where he was before being shanghaied. That's not to say that there is no
value in scientific research. But since you asked, other than the selfish
desire to view these rarities for myself, I believe that with the
precarious state of the world today it is extremely important that people
stop taking nature for granted. I don't think there is an intellectual
equivalent to being out there with the birds and the bees and the flowers
and trees. We could do worse than to show a little love for the natural
world that we live in. So I am not disheartened when I hear someone show
concern for the well being of another living thing. Are they being overly
protective? Perhaps. Would the world be better off if more people felt
the same way? Who could doubt it?

...and so in the end, the bird lived, but the planet died. Ha, ha, just
wondering if we need yet another new addition to the dystopian future genre!

-jMac