Date: 9/20/21 4:12 pm
From: Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Lesser Sand-Plover ID help
Eric,
The small bill relative to head size, and the darker legs, suggest LESP.
The bill is also somewhat blunter and slightly bulging near the tip.

I'm sure that individual variation of these species could cause confusion
where their ranges overlap, but if you look at the distribution maps you
will see that Greater Sand-Plover does not extend to Eastern Siberia and
would be much less likely to find its way to the CA coast.

I'm also trusting that much more experienced birders have looked at this
guy, but your question was helpful. It certainly made me take a closer look.

Brian Scanlon