Date: 4/8/21 5:49 am
From: Lottie Bushmann <lottie.bushmann...>
Subject: Re: Warbler? Help with Bird ID Please

Hi Karen
I am not an expert by any measure, but I did want to comment after looking
at your picture.
Size is hard in a photo, but since you stated it is a warbler, I am looking
at it as a very small bird. The undertail pattern is very distinct. Along
with the wing bars and yellow wash on the belly (which may or may not be
there...sometimes it is just a reflection) it led me to a female Northern
Parula. The tail pattern could also lead us to a possible Cerulean
Warbler—Not sure if they are expected for your location (I know some areas
of St. Louis have them). But the bill seems really long. That could be the
photograph.

I feel certain it’s not a yellow-throated—streaks are going the wrong
way—They go more from head to tail—I’ve never seen a yellow-throated
without a bold yellow throat in person or in a field guide. Also the tail
pattern would be different. Now, the bill appears very long and Crossley
states for a yellow-throated “Massive bill really stands out: very long,
though easy to overlook among the complexities of a such a striking head
pattern”. I do think the bill does look massive, but I then come back to
the undertail pattern and what appear to be more wing bars than black and
white streaking.

I.D.ing with just a photo is so tricky. One tool that might be helpful for
you to get (FREE!) are the Quickfinder Guide from the Warbler guide. You go
to this link
https://dl.allaboutbirds.org/download_the_warbler_guide_quickfinders
and then you can download and print them. If you don’t download them and
print straight from the site they’ll print very small. If you download
first, they will fill your page. I have a set I carry in my birding bag
that are laminated for quick access. There is a page for undertail coverts,
side view, bottom view, and 45 degree view. You do need to sign up for the
Cornell Lab newsletter (which is great) but you can unsubscribe at any
time. This is a trustworthy site.

I will also send you a general guideline to the order that the warblers
arrive in the spring. Edge Wade shared this with me when I was a new birder
and it helped me often narrow to a few species to consider. It helped me
anticipate which species would most likely be arriving and I would study
those few and their songs before going out on a walk. Of course, it is just
a guide. We are definitely in the midst of the first wave. I’m on my iPad
right now and need to get on my computer to send that.

Again, not certain of your bird, but these are some resources to consider.
It’s a very fun, exciting time in migration, but also can be frustrating. I
think it’s great you got as good a picture as you did considering they are
so tiny.

I’m sorry I can’t say for sure what your bird is, but thought the process
another birder goes through might help you with your process.

Good luck
Lottie Bushmann
Columbia MO