Date: 4/7/21 8:40 pm
From: Matthew Dodder <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Shoreline and Charleston Slough 04-07-21
I spent the morning drawing birds for Team Birdcassos as part of the SCVAS Birdathon today. I managed too draw 45 species in a 4-hour period—all with a number 2 pencil. A real challenge to draw that many, especially with no time refine or correct... I don’t know what our team total is yet, but since some team mates did their work at Montebello, and others toured Stevens Creek Park, I think we’ll have a pretty good total. Some participants used water color, others used colored pencils or digital paint.
At Shoreline, I was happy to find 25 BLACK SKIMMERS on the island, both GREATER and LESSER SCAUP, breeding-plumaged EARED GREBE and lingering COMMON GOLDENEYE. The RUDDY DUCKS are beautifully blue-billed now. I did not see the Brant or the Greater White-fronted Geese today, but the sprinklers were on, so maybe they were foraging elsewhere. When I approached Charleston Slough, there were two CASPIAN TERNS on the Forebay and I heard a WHIMBREL nearby but was not able to find it when I reached the platform.
Matthew

SCVAS Special Event: An Evening with Richard Prum APRIL 21 (via zoom)
Author of New York Times’ Bestseller, and winner of the prized "One of the Best Books of the Year" award... "The Evolution of Beauty"An Evening with Richard Prum | Buy Tickets | Ticketbud

| | |

| |
An Evening with Richard Prum | Buy Tickets | Ticketbud

An Evening with Richard Prum - April 21, 2021 at Online. Find event and ticket information on Ticketbud.

View/Reply Online (#24106): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/24106
-=-=-

-=-=-
Group Owner: southbaybirds+<owner...>