Date: 4/7/21 5:37 pm
From: Paul Schorr <pkschorr...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Phainopepla - Black Diamond Mines R. P., Antioch - 4/7
After I did some cleaning in the garage, Nancy and I decided to go to BDMRP for a picnic lunch. Along the entry road near the ranch buildings of the old Moeller Ranch , we spotted a Western Kingbird hawking insects. We continued on to the upper parking lot at the end of the road and the adjacent picnic area where we had our lunch. While eating there we had the following species: Acorn Woodpecker, Nuttall’s Woodpecker, Oak Titmouse, Lesser Goldfinch, Western Bluebird, Turkey Vulture, Mourning Dove, White-breasted Nuthatch, Dark-eyed Junco, and Common Raven. After lunch we walked to the upper picnic area near the amphitheater. Along the way, we had a single Bushtit which was unusual, Lincoln Sparrow and Black Phoebe. At the picnic area we picked up a European Starling, more Turkey Vultures and a flock of about 15 Rock Pigeons.

On our return trip down to our vehicle, I spotted a male Phainopepla perched at the top of a Coast Live Oak near the bathrooms. It then moved to the top of a nearby Locust tree and Nancy also had good views at that point. We were hoping for a possible Lazuli Bunting at that location also, but I don’t think that they have arrived yet.

Happy Birding,

Paul Schorr
Antioch