Date: 4/7/21 4:47 pm
From: John Harris <johnh...>
Subject: [countybirders] Mariposa County poorwill sighting
Hi all,
I am posting the following sighting of a Common Poorwill for Chris Swarth:
"On April 1, I spooked a single common poorwill in the car headlights on
the Incline Road along the Merced River (elev. about 1,200 ft.) , about 2
miles downriver from the little spot called Briceburg. Briceburg is right
on Hwy 140, perhaps 5 miles east of Mid Pines.

Gaines writes that, “poorwills probably arrive considerably earlier at
lower elevations on the west slope, but I know of no records.” The
“earlier” date he refers to is April 24, a 1980 record in Lee Vining. I
know that on occasion poorwills winter in central California. I saw one in
winter in the Oakland hills near Skyline and that may have been in January
or February."

John Harris
Oakdale, CA