Date: 4/7/21 3:13 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Braddock Bay (07 Apr 2021) 1503 Raptors

Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0
Short-eared Owl 0 1 1

Total: 1503 6012 14518

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:30:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: David Brown

Observers: Daena Ford, Dominic Sherony, Nate Ukens, Pat Martin

Visitors:
15

Weather:
Mostly sunny with moderate northeasterly winds. Fairly warm but the breeze
kept it chilly.

Raptor Observations:
Surprisingly good migration in spite of the northeast wind. The flight line
was between the platform and the parkway most of the day. Birds were low! A
steady flow of Turkey Vultures all day for a total of nearly 1,400. Only
one Bald Eagle. Good numbers of harriers (21), sharpies (25), and Coops
(11). A few dozen red-tails plus a red-shoulder and dark rough-leg. For
falcons we had 21 kestrels and an immature peregrine.

Non-raptor Observations:
Common Loon, 200 Double-crested Cormorants, 3 Great Blue Herons, Eastern
phoebe, Fish Crow, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, 175 Tree Swallows, 2 Barn
Swallows, Fox Sparrow, 7 Rusty Blackbirds.

New species for season: Fish Crow

eBird: https://ebird.org/checklist/S85054400

Predictions:
Thursday: Mostly sunny. High 19C. Winds ESE at 15-25km/h. Hard to predict
but we did amazing today on less favorable winds so I would expect at least
a moderate flight to continue. Sometimes the raptors are lower on days with
easterly winds because it is a headwind for them.

Friday: Rain showers early then overcast. High 18C. Winds SSE at 15-25km/h.
Chance of rain 40%. Expect light to moderate migration.

Saturday: Intervals of clouds and sun then increasing clouds. High 19C.
Winds ESE at 15-25km/h. Expect moderate migration.
Report submitted by David Brown (<davidebrownpa...>)
Braddock Bay information may be found at:
http://www.bbrr.org/

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=353
Count data submitted via Dunkadoo - Project info at:
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/braddock-bay-raptor-research/2021-spring-bb-raptor-watch