Date: 4/7/21 10:12 am
From: Jeff Calhoun <jeffcalhoun11...>
Subject: KOS Spring Meeting - "Field Trips"
Hello Birders,

The Kansas Ornithological Society’s annual Spring Meeting is going to be
digital again this year. For your birding field trips that weekend, KOS is
challenging birders to visit our state’s federal reservoirs or state parks
and report their results!

We have identified 30 eligible locations for bird sightings to be included
in our weekend compilation, and an ambitious goal is to have each and every
one of them visited by at least one birder sometime during the weekend!
These general locations include the named reservoir or state park and any
adjacent wildlife areas or recreation areas.

I am maintaining a spreadsheet of the locations included in this challenge
and encourage birders to check it out and share your plans and
contributions. If you plan to go birding at one of these locations between
noon Friday, May 7 and noon Sunday, May 9, please consider letting me know
so I can document it as being covered for the weekend. Please note that the
same spreadsheet also shows that some birders are willing to host socially
distant birding trips at these locations. Interested birders can contact
these voluntary leaders if they want to join them for their efforts! This
sheet will be updated frequently as people sign up with Jeff, so be sure to
keep checking back!

The KOS Birding Field Trip Spreadsheet can be viewed here:
https://bit.ly/3fVdUBY .

Given that this is a new and different thing, here are a few preemptively
answered questions that hopefully clarify things:

Q: Can I go birding at other locations that weekend?
A: Of course you can go birding wherever you want! However, to contribute
to the KOS species compilation for the weekend, the sightings should be
from these locations or the adjacent public wildlife areas or recreation
areas associated with them.

Q: If someone is already signed up for my preferred location, can I still
go birding there?
A: Yes. The more eyes the better! You do not have to go birding with the
people signed up for the same location, but you can if you are comfortable
doing so.

Q: Do I have to sign up with Jeff on the spreadsheet to participate?
A: No you do not need to share your birding plans with Jeff. However, I
think it would be great if you would! This will enable participants to see
which locations are being covered throughout the state that weekend, with
our ambitious goal to have all 30 locations sampled on a single weekend!
Perhaps you want to challenge yourself to visit a Kansas reservoir that no
other birder is visiting that weekend!

Q: If I sign up to cover a certain location for the KOS Birding Challenge,
do I have to lead a field trip?
A: No. Not everyone is comfortable or able to bird in groups, and some
people want a relaxing, flexible weekend away from it all. All of these
scenarios are acceptable and there is no pressure to meet up with others.
If you are willing to host a socially distant field trip, though, notify
Jeff and he can publish your contact information on the sheet in case
someone would like to join a more experienced birder at a specific
location, mimicking a traditional KOS “Field Trip” in these bizarre times.

Q: Can I cover more than one location?
A: Yes. During KOS weekend, you can cover 1 location or 30 locations. You
can spend less than an hour birding or go for a forty-eight hour birding
marathon. Choose your own adventure! All sightings from these areas are
welcomed.

Q: Do I have to be a KOS member to participate?
A: Nope! But if you’re not a KOS member, what are you waiting for :) ?

Please feel free to contact me with any questions about the KOS Birding
Challenge or to sign up to cover a designated location during the KOS
Spring Meeting! Again, the field trip sign-up sheet can be viewed at
https://bit.ly/3fVdUBY .

Jeff Calhoun
<jeffcalhoun11...>
Dodge City, KS