Date: 4/7/21 7:20 am
From: Mary Williams Hyde <mary...>
Subject: Re: [KlamathBasinBirdNews] Re: Bird Behavior topics
I visited the rookery area again yesterday and this is what happened: I sat
at the rookery for about two hours today without disturbing the birds. They
mostly stoically guarded their territory, a few flew around gathering
sticks for their nests, or flew off to feed, or were returning to take over
nest duty so their mates could leave to feed. And Jeffery was right, there
were quite a few egrets gathering to nest in that area too, seeming to look
wistfully at the herons who already had their nests established. It
happened that Jack arrived just before I left, then another friend drove
up, and no one exited their cars. Our three cars did not cause any
disturbance to the rookery. It was when a fourth car drove up and the
driver got out that half the rookery flew off in a panic. I have pictures
that I haven’t downloaded yet. I can share them later if anyone would like
to see them. Reminds me of the clueless way tourists are interacting with
bison in Yellowstone.

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 11:00:04 PM UTC-7 <howard......> wrote:

> I know all the people who have commented, and all are outstanding people!
>
> I have a suggestion about the problem of PEOPLE GETTING OUT OF THEIR CAR
> WHEN BESIDE nesting Egrets, Herrons, or Eagles, along the described road.
> Signs might help, but put up STOP SIGNS before getting to the nesting
> site, on both sides. There will be a very small visitor information booth,
> with a sign on front, saying, "Take a brochure regarding the sensitive area
> ahead'
>
> This paper will explain ethical conduct, as well as forbidden and illegal
> actions. Pretty sure both Mary and Jack spend time there, and both are
> connected with USFWS, so they could carry some slips with them to restock
> the stations when low.
>
> If you can GET PEOPLE to STOP, maybe they will read, and understand proper
> conduct.
>
> This booth, and stop signs could be removed during the off seasons for
> nesting. There will be initial work and time involved to get set up, but
> much less work involved in future years?
> No doubt too late for this year! Just my thoughts.
>
> Howard West
>

> At the stop signs will be a
>
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 2:01 PM Barry West <bwes......> wrote:
>
>> Good job, Kevin. Thank you.
>>
>> Barry
>>
>> On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 7:35:18 PM UTC-7 <rrip......> wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Discussions regarding bird behavior is an allowed topic for this group,
>>> and observations about bird behavior, unique, and interesting are welcome.
>>>
>>> Remarks that include personal opinions that deviate from civility, and
>>> are either threatening, or intimidating, including name calling in a direct
>>> or general way is not within the guidelines for posted messages here.
>>>
>>> Anyone who is involved with posting such messages will have future
>>> messages audited by the list moderator.
>>>

>>> Kevin Spencer
>>> Klamath Basin Bird News, Moderator
>>> Klamath Falls, OR
>>> <rrip......>
>>>

>>> *Sent from my Verizon LG Smartphone*
>>>
>> --
>>
> --
>> http://groups.google.com/group/klamathbasinbirdnews
>> For more information, including posting guidelines, visit the Group's web
>> page at:
>> https://sites.google.com/site/klamathbasinbirdnews/
>> ---
>> "Klamath Basin Bird News" group.
>> email to <klamathbasinbird......>

>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/klamathbasinbirdnews/<17ce0111-7a76-448e-bbb9-899d63a9aeaan...>
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/klamathbasinbirdnews/<17ce0111-7a76-448e-bbb9-899d63a9aeaan...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

For more information, including posting guidelines, visit the Group's web page at:
https://sites.google.com/site/klamathbasinbirdnews/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Klamath Basin Bird News" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to klamathbasinbirdnews+<unsubscribe...>
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/klamathbasinbirdnews/<8105c775-3780-4070-9503-4e248905e1d3n...>

Join us on Facebook!