Date: 4/6/21 7:28 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Hamlin Beach - 4/6 - woodchucks, Red-headed Woodpecker, Fish Crows
Hamlin Beach SP--Parking Lot No. 4 (Primary Lakewatch site), Monroe, New York, US
Apr 6, 2021 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Bob Spahn, <rspahn...>: Stationary
Checklist Comments:    Short visit to check the lake and sit in the sun. Quiet, especially out over the lake. A fun, non-bird, addition was driving in just before the road closed sign location for winter, there was a jet black woodchuck on the right side. After the lake watching, on the way out 3 more normal woodchucks along the exit road. FOY for me.
24 species

Canada Goose  35
White-winged Scoter  4
Long-tailed Duck  20
Common Merganser  7
Red-breasted Merganser  78
Horned Grebe  3
Mourning Dove  1
Ring-billed Gull  110
Herring Gull  5
Bald Eagle  2    2 different aged imm. flying together west to east above water edge.
Red-headed Woodpecker  1    Regular and breeds in this area. First for me there this year, but first visit with this area open. Calling from trees NW of west end of PL 4. Tracked down to be sure.
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Northern Flicker  2
Peregrine Falcon  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
American Crow  10
Fish Crow  3    Very interesting. I have had few in the park prior. Heard one calling to the east (toward the pond area) that then flew past me to the pines near the open restroom at the west end of PL 4. About 10:30. Kept calling, and finally another called from off east and eventually moved toward the first after which they called back and forth from near each other with a variety of calls. About 10:40. Then a third called a ew times from the east. #2 then stopped calling at wandered back east. #1 kept calling a bit, then flew over me calling about 10:45 heading east. About 10:55, one of the birds again started calling and flew over me again and back to the area at the west end of PL 4 .
Black-capped Chickadee  4
Eastern Bluebird  4
American Robin  6
House Sparrow  2