Date: 4/6/21 2:44 pm
From: Susan Horvath <shorvath...>
Subject: Re: [birders] The search is on! (very long)
Here is the most heavily fortified of my wood duck boxes. We started
completely unprotected. Then added flashing on the trunk both above
and below. That worked pretty well for a number of years. But of
course the tree keeps growing and eventually started popping the
nails... which seemed to give the squirrels toe-holds. Doesn't seem to
have impacted the health of the tree at all (cottonwood poplar).
Multiple iterations of adding flashing to the box itself.
A second box almost the same amount of flashing. 3rd & 4th boxes
somewhat newer, and somewhat smaller, have the flashing on the boxes
themselves but not around the trunks. One, so far, is secure. The
other is not. Have seen both flying and gray squirrels this year in
the insecure box.
We usually, but not always, have a resident screech during the winter,
but only in the larger 2 boxes. We are aware of only 2 actual nestings
over the 30+ years. This winter's screech hasn't been seen in a couple
months.

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<CAMrXOUY2s0VmoQTHg9Ony8tjPpdQwzXdG8OMh540tJNgOeB-iA...>

Join us on Facebook!