Date: 4/6/21 2:41 pm
From: Thomas Wood <tcwood729...>
Subject: [wisb] Cinnamon Teal in Sauk County
Yesterday, when I was at Lake Wisconsin, i met a gentleman who informed me that on Sunday he had found a pair of Cinnamon Teal at Bakken’s Pond in Sauk County. He said they were the closest birds to the viewing area at the boat launch.
In the evening, after I got home I checked eBird alerts, and sure enough, there were many reports.
Today, when I arrived, as advertised, the beautiful drake Cinnamon Teal was with the closest group of birds. He and a female Blue-winged Teal were obviously taken with each other since they kept company all the time I was there. Perhaps the finder thought the female was a Cinnamon Teal and that is why he said there was a pair. This female had the smaller bill of a Blue-winged Teal, and there was no obvious difference in plumage color to the Blue-winged Teal females.
To get to this location, drive west from Spring Green on STH 14. There are several roads going south from STH 14 that intersect with Kennedy Road; I took Pearl Road. Drive west on Kennedy until you see the sign for Bakken’s Pond. Immediately west of the sign is a short gravel road which leads to a small parking lot. Park here and walk down to the pond.
At one point, something spooked the birds and they flew to the back of the pond, but it didn’t take long for them to return to an area in front of the boat launch where binocular views were sufficient.
Thanks to the eBird report from Spence S., I was able to easily find this location, an area that I had never before visited.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County