Date: 4/6/21 1:35 pm
From: Eric Arnold <eba...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Unhurried seasonal nesting
On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 11:38 AM 'George Hammond' via Birders <
<birders...> wrote:

> Southeastern Michigan had almost no precipitation from mid February until
> March 24, then got the month’s average in just a few days. March was
> significantly warmer than average too. Jan and Feb also had substantially
> below average precip. I suspect that the dryness has slowed down plants and
> insects. The National Drought Monitor lab says we are still in a state of
> “moderate drought”
> https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?Midwest

This seems to be a bit earlier now than the timing in years more or less
recently passed, which brings it more in line with the following gem of
English literature (from 1392); note in particular the bird reference in
lines 9 & 10 by which I hope to justify my offering to this list on this
occasion:

"Whan that Aprille with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan Zephirus eek with his swete breath
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours yronne,
*And smale foweles maken melodye,*
*That slepen al the nyght with open eye,*
So priketh hem natur in hir corages;
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages,
And palmerers for to seken straunge strondes,
To ferne halwes, kowthe in sondry londes;
And specially, from every shires ende
Of Engelond, to Caunterbury they wende,
The hooly blisful martir for to seke,
That hem hath holpen what they were seeke."

(Italics mine)

So get out there to enjoy it with a pilgrimage to a favorite spot & enjoy!

(Sorry — I couldn't resist. The timing was too perfect! Sorry for the
Middle English...)

Eric

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/CABv5-TW0inqqO1XnRL%<3D0Ww6ByO14tZ74MZ4pgpAuNprmnXscaw...>