Date: 4/6/21 1:34 pm
From: Nancy Asquith <nancyasquith...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Turkeys in flight--for Easter
Sunday I hiked into Santa Teresa County Park from the Bernal ranch on
Manila Drive. On Bernal Hill Trail, in addition to enjoying views of nearly
two dozen native wildflowers, I saw a singing *RUFOUS-CROWNED Sparrow* on a
rock, and a *LARK Sparrow*--probably one of a pair or a group--that took
flight and perched on a utility tower. There was a coyote nearby as well.

As I stood on a hill very close to where the Lark Sparrow later started
singing, something large erupted from the other side of the rocks and flew
off. A Northern harrier, probably, I thought. Maybe.

Or not. As the folks on iNaturalist kindly informed me after I posted the
photos, it was a *WILD TURKEY *in full flight!!

I have seen them fly-hop up to tree branches to roost. But this was
unprecedented.

Photos at
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?on=2021-04-04&place_id=any&taxon_id=355675&user_id=nancyasquith&verifiable=any.
Click on turkey photo to enlarge.